- Grow in your skill as an artist or curator and understand the significance of your artistry in God’s eyes
- Learn the theology of creativity and arts in the kingdom of God
- Develop an approach for engaging the least-reached through your creativity
- Work alongside experienced cross-cultural artists practicing ministry in a variety of contexts
- Explore new ways to express, challenge and encourage yourself and others through art.
Vibrant Communities Through the Arts
Dallas Willard, author and philosopher, once said, “Beauty is God’s goodness made manifest to the senses.” As image-bearers of God, creating and desiring the beautiful is in our very nature. The creative arts express beauty, transform hearts, and inspire action in a way that mere words often do not. Indeed, it is hard to imagine a vibrant community that lacks the arts. Often, ministry leaders, especially those without an arts background, are unsure of the best ways to engage the arts. They may not even be aware of the vibrancy that is lacking by their omission of the arts. In this course, you will explore some basic foundations for incorporating culturally relevant arts into your ministry, applying immediately to the kingdom goals for your target culture.
This free virtual course has been designed for both creatives and ministry leaders with no artistic background. Expect to spend 1-3 hours on course work daily, depending on English proficiency and level of engagement in discussion.
VIRTUAL TRAINING COURSE
14th February - 22nd March, 2024.
As image-bearers of God, creating and desiring “the beautiful” is in our very nature. The creative arts express beauty, transform hearts, and inspire action in a way that just words often do not. Indeed, it is hard to imagine a vibrant community that lacks the arts. Yet often, ministry leaders, especially those without an arts background, are unsure of the best way to engage the arts. They may not even be aware of the vibrancy that is lacking by their omission of the arts. In this course, you will explore some basic foundations for finding and incorporating culturally relevant arts into your ministry, applying them immediately to the kingdom goals for your community.
Plan to spend around 2-3 hours working on each module in this course. Time will vary based on how involved you are in the discussion, your English level, and your previous exposure to the concepts covered in the course. You will have 5 weeks to complete 8 modules. Two of the modules require you to conduct an interview, which may require more time. At the end, you will also write an action plan for applying what you have learned.
*To keep the discussion manageable, we are capping enrollment at 12 participants. With limited enrolment, please only register if you expect to finish the course.
Main topics to be addressed in this class include:
Module 1: The Arts in Culture
- Reflect on the power of the arts as you read about the arts and consider how you could apply what you learn within a culture.
Module 2: Do creative expressions matter?
- Before we delve into culturally relevant art, it is good to pause and reflect on the use of creative arts in Scripture.
Module 3: Are the arts a universal language?
- The arts are a universal phenomenon present in every culture, but are the arts universally understood across cultures?
Module 4: Are some cultural art forms evil?
- As you seek out more culturally relevant art forms, you may come across some evil uses for the arts. Are some forms naturally evil?
Module 5: Is local creativity powerful in practice?
- Watch and read stories of how culturally relevant arts have stimulated vibrancy in a community. Then, consider both your and someone else’s heart arts.
Module 6: Community Arts
- You have looked at your heart arts, but what about the arts that express the heart of a whole community?
Module 7: Application: Interview a Cultural Insider
- What culturally relevant art forms can you include to encourage vibrancy in your target culture?
Module 8: Application: Action Plan
- How will you include culturally relevant arts to encourage vibrancy in your target culture? In this module, you will plan your next steps.
For more information